This is a great last-minute lunchbox filler – or a brilliant speedy evening meal if you’re in a rush. The type of pesto you use means there’s a huge variant in the end result – I love using wild garlic pesto when I can, or walnut and parsley pesto is delicious too. Try switching up the nuts or adding other ingredients (such as kale, or blanched green beans), too.
Ingredients (serves 1):
– 75g pasta (I like rigatoni for this)
– 2 tbsp pesto
– handful of pine nuts
– 5 cherry tomatoes
– handful basil leaves, torn
– vegetarian parmesan, for grating (optional).
The night before:
1. Cook the pasta according to the packet instructions. Stir through the pesto, then set aside.
2. In a dry frying pan, toast the pine nuts until golden – about 5 minutes. Stir into the pasta and allow everything to cool before refrigerating.
In the morning:
3. Chop the cherry tomatoes into quarters and stir into the pasta along with the basil leaves. Top with the vegetarian parmesan.
Tip: to make this gluten-free, use a gluten-free pasta. To make it vegan, top with a tsp of nutritional yeast instead of cheese. If buying pesto, always make sure it’s suitable for your dietary requirements.