Much as I love sweet pancakes, this year I wanted to do something really different for Shrove Tuesday. These gorgeous, savoury pancakes are just that. Naturally gluten-free, the socca pancake is really brought to life by the vivid turmeric, while the citrus of the sumac and dressing cuts through the sweetness of the roasted peppers. Pan–frying the feta gives it such a beautiful texture: crisp and crusty on the outside while soft and slightly melting in the middle. All in all, they’re a new favourite in my recipe book!
Ingredients (makes 8):
For the pancakes:
– 200g gram flour
– 1 tsp ground turmeric
– 2 tbsp olive oil (use the olive oil from the jar of peppers for extra flavour)
– 350ml water
For the toppings:
– 1 red onion
– 1 lemon, zested and juiced
– 150ml natural yoghurt
– handful of mint leaves, finely chopped
– 280g jar chargrilled peppers, drained and roughly chopped
– 200g block feta
– 1 tsp sumac
– mixed rocket salad
1. Begin with the toppings: finely chop the red onion into rings, and tip into a bowl with half the lemon juice. Top up with enough cold water to cover, then leave for at least 20 minutes to soften.
2. Sieve the gram flour into a large jug; add the turmeric, season and stir to mix. Whisk in the olive oil and water to create a smooth batter.
3. On a medium heat, heat a small amount of olive oil in a large frying pan. Once it’s come to temperature, pour in some of the batter (about a ladleful). Cook for 2-3 minutes, until small bubbles appear and the edges begin to peel away from the pan, then flip. Cook for a further 2 minutes, then transfer to a plate. Cover with tinfoil to keep warm while you make the rest of the pancakes.
4. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix the yoghurt with the mint leaves and the lemon zest and remaining juice. Set aside. Sprinkle half the sumac over the block of feta, along with a twist of black pepper. Turn the block over and repeat so both sides are coated. Put into a separate, dry frying pan on a medium heat and cook for about 5 minutes, until the edges at the bottom are turning brown. Carefully flip it over to cook for another 5 minutes on the other side, then transfer to a board and cut into pieces.
5. To assemble the pancakes, scatter over a handful of rocket salad, followed by some of the peppers, red onion rings and feta. Drizzle over a little of the lemon-yoghurt dressing. Scatter with a few extra mint leaves and a sprinkle of sumac, if you like.